Most people can come up with several outstanding ideas as answer to the title. However, what does it really mean to work from home, on a practical and modern basis? What are some of the advantages that everyone can enjoy and not just the few?
- Diet – You get to eat right and on time, staying healthy through the goodness of homemade meals or even those you put together yourself. Either way, cleanliness and risk of infection and food poisoning are greatly reduced while health and overall well-being is enhanced.
Imagine being able to get up and grab a fruit drink or mix some oatmeal on the stove. Can you do that at work?
- Mobility – You can move around anywhere you please. You can take your laptop, if you are using one, and sit at inspiring locations or relaxing ones. These spots include the ones at home and places outside, like cafes, restaurants, friends’ residences, and more besides.
You can gather more data thanks to such mobility and even if you get nothing to hone your work and skills you still have relaxation, freedom, and the chance to be your own boss everyday.
- Scheduling – You can slot your times for work. In fact, even in emergencies and urgent work calls you can make time more easily when you are at home to complete those tasks super fast. If you happen to be at work, there are specific time frames you need to adhere to during which time the will or inspiration needed to complete a task may not come until much later.
Whereas work schedules can probably make you lose an opportunity, work-from-home schedules increase chances for you to land them.
- Social Life – Bottomline is you have one when you work from home. Calling friends over and re-scheduling work for completion later, in keeping with deadlines, is not a dream. Going out to get things done with family while returning to get work done is more than possible. You can even take your laptop with you to a friend’s or cousin’s place and work from there (read Mobility above).
When you work away from home, you cannot do these things. You leave in the morning, return late evening or thereabouts and have no time to do all this because travel and errands wore you out.
- Personal Emergencies – Suppose there is a family or friend emergency and they need you without delay. It will be faster to get to them if you work from home than it would be to tell your superiors at the office the reason for immediate leave-taking and then travel to get where you need to be.
Risk potential is therefore greatly reduced when you work from home.
- Sufficient Time – The stress of corporate office spaces is reflected even in home settings. Stress is always there in the modern world and the pressure to complete things within deadlines is also present when you work from home. However, at the office you have stricter deadlines that can change; shorten at any time.
At home, you can adapt, compensate, and move things around to make the most of your time and compile adequate research for work. You end up submitting quality work as compared to the risk-ridden probably less efficient material that you are whipped into doing at office, which will only return to your desk for a re-do.