There is long lasting debate on the topic, “Is coffee good or bad for health?” When you ask the experts, you will get two different answers for the same question. Some experts say drinking coffee is extremely good for health, while others are not very much interested in the mediocre benefits associated with drinking coffee.
People, who support drinking coffee, and generally define it as a health drink, cite many reasons that support their claim.
Following are some of them:
- it is rich in nutrients and antioxidants
- it enhances brain’s functions
- reduces the risk of diseases like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and type 2 diabetes
- and it lowers the risk of liver related diseases
But, the reasons mentioned above, for many people, are not quite convincing enough to state that “drinking coffee on a regular basis is healthy for a human body.” Not many experts can say that either.
On the contrary, the disadvantages associated with drinking coffee, can easily outweigh the advantages associated with it. Let us now learn about some of the disadvantages that accompany every cup of coffee you take.
Disadvantages of drinking coffee
- Caffeine damages the liver: It should be noted that caffeine is not the easiest of the substances to digest. In order to digest it, and break down the coffee, liver uses a lot of enzymes. These enzymes are otherwise intended to fight the bad chemicals that enter the blood. This implies that the people, who drink coffee too often, can only limitedly fight the chemicals present in their blood, putting more and more pressure on the liver, which in turn may lead to liver disorders.
- Decreased sex drive: Like testosterone, adrenal glands present in our body are the main cause for our sexual drive. These glands release hormones which enable us to participate in the sex actively. Drinking a lot of coffee can decrease the production of the sexual hormones, leading to lessened sexual drive or impotency.
- Infertility: Women who take coffee regularly cease to produce progesterone, a hormone responsible for getting pregnant, resulting in infertility.
- Blocks emotions: Too much caffeine can actively block human emotions. A person addicted to caffeine can hardly feel human emotions such as sadness, happiness, love, empathy, etc. This is because; caffeine destroys neurotransmitters which are responsible to generate human emotions.
- Induces depression: Depression is mainly caused due to lack of hormones called serotonin. These hormones are responsible for making humans happy and content, when something good happens. Excessive caffeine suppresses serotonin, inducing depression in the minds of the people. Such people cease to be happy or sad any more. Hence, people who are suffering from depression problems should never consume coffee.
- Insomnia: Too much consumption of caffeine may lead to insomnia, also known as sleeplessness. This is the reason why our elders ask us not to drink coffee after finishing the dinner. It is advised that people who are having severe sleeping problems should never, ever try drinking coffee again.
Apart from the health conditions mentioned above, caffeine can also cause malnutrition. Drinking too much of coffee can slow down the digestion process dramatically. As a result, our body’s ability to absorb vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, proteins and other essential fats is seriously hampered, making us weak and prone to dangerous bacteria and a host of other infections. Hence, it is highly recommended that one should keep a regular check on their coffee drinking habit, and keep it as low as possible, if are unable to completely get rid of it.